Peters travels

Please do be polite and don't spill my beer

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

Jazz Club

Re: Peters travels

Post by Jazz Club »

Peter,
If you are still sitting at the Glasgow gate you might see this.
Its the same down here.
Grey windy and raining. :(

Not long to now Jim :smt023
Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club »

Jim,
Really pleased you are happy with your LP12 upgrades. :smt023
Hope you both have a good 4th bridge trip.
Its getting dark here.
Looking forward to the pictures.
Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit »

Carlton the door man wrote:Jim,
Really pleased you are happy with your LP12 upgrades. :smt023
Hope you both have a good 4th bridge trip.
Its getting dark here.
Looking forward to the pictures.
Jim's system with his upgraded LP12 sounds fab! Quite an eye (ear) opener. I'll let him post on his findings if I may and just concentrate on what has been a very nice day

Jim kindly took me around the sights of the Grangemouth/Falkirk area:

The Falkirk wheel, is definitely worth a look if you are in the area:

How to lift canal boats 100 ft from one canal to another; and it only uses as much power as boiling six kettles!!

It was a very nice day:

Email: peter@cymbiosis.com
Web: http://www.cymbiosis.com
Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit »

In addition to the Falkirk wheel, the Kelpies are a must visit:

Last edited by Mr Fixit on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KG648

Post by KG648 »

My word, Peter owns a top that is a not a blue shirt!

Good job the weather was nice.

Call me blind, but Jim what did you have done to your LP12?
Linn Majik DS w/iPad 2|Roksan Nima/10x5 w/Lingo 3/tramp2[built by Dr Peter]| Linn Silvers| 242 MK3 Passive |Linn Majik Kontrol/M4100 x2|Linn K400 | Fully loaded with QX7's!
Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit »

KG648 wrote:My word, Peter owns a top that is a not a blue shirt!

Good job the weather was nice.
LOL!

Yes the weather was fantastic and Jim certainly looked after me so very well. We really managed to do so much 8)

I'll let Jim talk about his LP12 and the upgrades, but talking about the weather... Just fantastic, I was so lucky!

A must see if you are ever in this part of the world wonderful engineering on a massive scale dating from the end of the Victorian age:
The Forth Railway Bridge

9:30 pm and looking to the west to the road bridge

and at sunset, just a few minutes before 10pm, both bridges.... What a place, what a view.

I'm glad to be getting back to my travelling again and Jim and I have had a great time.

Many thanks to Jim for taking the time to show me this amazing part of the world while I was visiting and upgrading his LP12.

Kind regards,

Peter
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

I have had the most thrilling interesting and revealing day of my life in HI-FI I have had the unbelievable honour of having Peter Swain ( CYMBIOSIS ) up in Bonnie Scotland for most of the weekend there will be pictures to follow soon once I have scraped myself off the ceiling "in a very good way " this man is genius he completely rebuilt my LP12 from scratch even throwing every screw nut and bolt from my deck in the bin Peter is an absolute professional "I thought I was fussy" he is cool,unflappable,informative and very educational never flinching an inch as I was narrated through every bit of my rebuild and fitting of upgrades now Radikal Urika Kore to say he upgraded my deck is a huge understatement he also turned all my albums into masters as if by magic.
We had a great time also sight seeing in between and after work.
I will let Peter tell you about his travels I hope I did him proud as a mere ge re of appreciation for what he has done.
Please don't treat Peter as if he is made of glass further to his personal recent tragic events he is not a different Peter I never felt uncomfortable or awkward in any way in his presence.
As for the people that think he might be elitist or snobbish in any way shame on you I have had the most wonderful time with a proper gent that is down to earth with his feet firmly on the ground.
I also had the great pleasure of speaking to Carlton through Skype with Peter in my house and I have to say that if not for Carlton's contributions and introductions I would have missed out big time.Thank you mate.
Carlton and Peter and some others should be well congratulated for what they contribute and share freely of their own experiences and knowledge.
I am deeply honoured to be in their company as I also feel about my Kabin friends it is undoubtedly the most real and friendly forum out there.
Thank you Kaptain.
I will post some pics later.
I'm going to shut up now as intend to go on a bit (but I didn't force you to read it)
Will catch up with you all in a while I going to spin some black ff.
By the way I now have a new Linn mat sided it was an obvious night and day simple dem the bad news is if you can't hear a difference unfortunately deafness is setting in or your deck needs some serious Fettling from the master.
Kindest regards for now Jim. 8) 8) :smt023 :smt023
Last edited by Coyote Jim on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turntable - Linn LP12, Karousel, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal 2, Urika.
Amplifier - Naim Supernait 3
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Cables- Kudos KS-1 Speaker Cable, Linn Silver Interconnects
Support - Target TT4.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Fantastic news Jim.

I hope to hear the change at some point and hear all about the job Peter did.
grimreaper46

Post by grimreaper46 »

I'm going to shut up now as intend to go on a bit (but I didn't force you to read it)
Yes you did, you posted and I always read your posts. :smt110

Glad you had a nice (and productive) weekend. All you need now is to swop your LP12 for a good Garrard SP25. :smt036

LP12 (now with the special Peter Swain magic touch and a Kore and T-Cable) for analogue, Majik Aktiv System for digital

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory

Live Long And Prosper
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

Steven wrote:Fantastic news Jim.

I hope to hear the change at some point and hear all about the job Peter did.
No problem Steven we will arrange a visit soon what an education and proper Gent superb.
KR Jim. 8) :smt023
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

grimreaper46 wrote:
Yes you did, you posted and I always read your posts. :smt110

Glad you had a nice (and productive) weekend. All you need now is to swop your LP12 for a good Garrard SP25. :smt036

[ Quoted Image ]
Yours too Grim I think I will start writing novels.
I only want the Garrard if it's a Mk2 and comes with Shure M75ED and Amstrad amp and Wharfedales
KR Jim. :smt023
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

Parents used to have a stacker sod all that remote control or getting off your bum caper. 8)
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
grimreaper46

Post by grimreaper46 »

Coyote Jim wrote:[ Quoted Image ]

Parents used to have a stacker sod all that remote control or getting off your bum caper. 8)
Well said. Surely Peter can get Tiger Paw to make an Autochanger for the LP12. xss27
LP12 (now with the special Peter Swain magic touch and a Kore and T-Cable) for analogue, Majik Aktiv System for digital

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory

Live Long And Prosper
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

grimreaper46 wrote:

Well said. Surely Peter can get Tiger Paw to make an Autochanger for the LP12. xss27
:smt017Just thinking out loud about the problems what kind of mat and would we have to play all the side ones in sequence or do we need a mat in between all albums pre sided and then there is the dreaded V T A oh no someone wake me up :smt015 tell me it was a nightmare or am I getting worse xss27 :oops: :lol:
Sorry for lack of posting today I've been :smt120 :smt020
Maybe it's a relief for everybody :smt023
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
grimreaper46

Post by grimreaper46 »

Coyote Jim wrote:
grimreaper46 wrote:

:smt017Just thinking out loud about the problems what kind of mat and would we have to play all the side ones in sequence or do we need a mat in between all albums pre sided and then there is the dreaded V T A oh no someone wake me up :smt015 tell me it was a nightmare or am I getting worse xss27 :oops: :lol:
Sorry for lack of posting today I've been :smt120 :smt020
Maybe it's a relief for everybody :smt023
Too logical. Think outside the box. :smt031

Live Long And Prosper
Steven

Post by Steven »

Jim

If you had the bearing mounted on a spring with the same compression characteristics as the weight of the LP and extra mat then the platter would drop by the required distance to retain VTA.

Would probably sound rubbish though.
grimreaper46

Post by grimreaper46 »

Steven wrote:Jim

If you had the bearing mounted on a spring with the same compression characteristics as the weight of the LP and extra mat then the platter would drop by the required distance to retain VTA.

Who cares? :smt036

Live Long And Prosper
Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club »

Coyote Jim wrote:I have had the most thrilling interesting and revealing day of my life in HI-FI I have had the unbelievable honour of having Peter Swain ( CYMBIOSIS ) up in Bonnie Scotland for most of the weekend there will be pictures to follow soon once I have scraped myself off the ceiling "in a very good way " this man is genius he completely rebuilt my LP12 from scratch even throwing every screw nut and bolt from my deck in the bin Peter is an absolute professional "I thought I was fussy" he is cool,unflappable,informative and very educational never flinching an inch as I was narrated through every bit of my rebuild and fitting of upgrades now Radikal Urika Kore to say he upgraded my deck is a huge understatement he also turned all my albums into masters as if by magic.
I will let Peter tell you about his travels I hope I did him proud as a mere ge re of appreciation for what he has done.
Please don't treat Peter as if he is made of glass further to his personal recent tragic events he is not a different Peter I never felt uncomfortable or awkward in any way in his presence.
As for the people that think he might be elitist or snobbish in any way shame on you I have had the most wonderful time with a proper gent that is down to earth with his feet firmly on the ground.
I also had the great pleasure of speaking to Carlton through Skype with Peter in my house and I have to say that if not for Carlton's contributions and introductions I would have missed out big time.Thank you mate.
Carlton and Peter and some others should be well congratulated for what they contribute and share freely of their own experiences and knowledge.
I am deeply honoured to be in their company as I also feel about my Kabin friends it is undoubtedly the most real and friendly forum out there.
Thank you Kaptain.
I will post some pics later.
Will catch up with you all in a while I going to spin some black ff.
By the way I now have a new Linn mat sided it was an obvious night and day simple dem the bad news is if you can't hear a difference unfortunately deafness is setting in or your deck needs some serious Fettling from the master.
Jim,
Yes it was good to have a chat before you both shot out to see the 4th bridges.
Glad you are happy with your new all singing and dancing LP12.
It will sound even better over the coming days.
Enjoy, :smt023
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

Steven wrote:Jim

Steven.
A self levelling sinking platform turntable for lazy gits great idea I will suggest to Gilad he won't care if it sounds rubbish it's not DS :p
C U soon for catchup :smt023
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit »

Carlton the door man wrote: Glad you are happy with your new all singing and dancing LP12.
It will sound even better over the coming days.
Enjoy, :smt023
Yes, that's exactly what I pointed out to Jim before I left as the new Cirkus bearing, Radikal and Urika will just get better and better as they run in!

Admittedly Jim and his family were still rather shell shocked from hearing the difference siding a mat makes to a nice LP12 8)

So much for this one being snake oil................

KR

Peter
Mr Fixit
Trade Member

Post by Mr Fixit »

Coyote Jim wrote:informative and very educational never flinching an inch as I was narrated through every bit of my rebuild and fitting of upgrades now Radikal Urika Kore to say he upgraded my deck is a huge understatement he also turned all my albums into masters as if by magic.
Glad you enjoyed seeing an LP12 being stripped right down and then re-built from scratch Jim.... I guess the top-plate bending was the most extreme part of the process for you. Getting rid of all rattles however, is well worth the effort as you now know.

KR

Peter
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

Hi I don't know if I mentioned it but I had a VIP visiting me this weekend for some major upgrades to my deck firstly kettle on then full steam ahead upside down in the jig trampolin off operation time.

Lingo coming out next with old cirkus subchassis.

Discarded on my kitchen table old trampolin old arm board old subchassis but my Ekos and Troika are having a rest.
Every screw nut and bolt went into my kitchen bin being a bit concerned I asked if any of them might be of use and the reply was they're no good now been used as he produced bags of screws nuts bolts springs grommets enough bits to built half a dozen decks up even sealed spare Radikal motors just in case to cover any possibility. :shock:

Now from scratch yes even the hinge plates came off and refitted with new screws even my plinth blocks were redone till they could squeak or click no more.

Then it was the top plate bolts and spring hangers to say they were tight is an understatement many times Peters fingers were all the colours of the rainbow.

Now contemplating the trend of the bend for a tight non rattling top plate.

Then the cringe bit ouch. :|

Top plate and Radikal motor now going in. :D

Then the Kore and cross brace a short time before the marathon spring selection.

Now the fun part to say Peter has patience and skill is the biggest understatement possible he pinged and pressed umpteen springs and had them on and off the deck until he was happy with his selection even at times he took out to fit new locknuts and didn't like the feel of them and you guessed it my bin.

Then the Urika moment to say he is obsessed about cable dressing is a gross understatement not many photos here as his dressing is unique lets just say the outer casings hardly touch anything no microphonic hard nipping of cables power and signal cables separated and none touching each other in the deck before the out of the plinth dressing if you want to see how he does it get one fitted ASAP.

MY NAME IS PETER SWAIN AND I AM A MASTER FETTLER. my words not Peter's. :lol:
The headmaster look are you paying attention ? Questions later. :smt018 :oops:

And now the reveal of extensive mega work from Peter my lovely little tower of power.
Sorry all the really good work is hidden to the eye but not to the ears. :smt023

We had a wonderful time together and if any group of enthusiasts in a close proximity to each other you too can have this special treatment just call CYMBIOSIS for details I was lucky and honoured to have him all to myself :roll:
For any people that have read Peters posts will know that he is passionate about what he does and is no snob or elitist he is just a true professional with his feet firmly on the ground.
And the patience of a saint totally cool and unflappable even with his emails pinging constantly.
Don't be shy Peter does not bite I'm glad as he is a lot taller than on the forum. :shock:
I hope reading this inspires confidence to contact him as he is still the same Peter as before his tragic circumstances earlier in the year that can't be changed but there were no eggshells to walk on or awkward atmospheres we had a blast after the work time and seen many great sights of all kinds :smt037
Thank you so very much to Peter for making everything so stressless for me.
And our jolly boys outing was very interesting and enjoyable we could not have written a funnier script very enjoyable as Peter's company was for me. :smt023
What amazes me is he managed to smuggle Carlton into my house we had a great chat and laugh and an informative talk through about my rebuild but Peter wouldn't let him out of the little black case though hope he is ok now. :wink:
I hope you found this interesting as it was memorable for my family and I.
Lots of sightseeing was done and yes we did have curry etc sitting in our kitchen like twin Mr Creosote's
Next day it was time for pickup and goodbyes :smt005 Peter was bright as a button I was still jet lagged and never been on a plane. :smt017
Kindest regards and never ending thanks to Peter from Jim and my Family till the next time. :lol: 8) :smt023
Last edited by Coyote Jim on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
grimreaper46

Post by grimreaper46 »

Are you sure he knows what he is doing. I think I have seen him on Rogues Gallery. :smt081

Live Long And Prosper
Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club »

Jim,
Great set of pictures.
System looks brilliant.
Now you have a whole new record collection to listen to. 8)
Enjoy man. :smt023
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

Carlton.
Thank you very much for your kind words it has been a wonderful experience for my family and I.
I hope my forum friends might have found my storybook interesting and a little funny although with the level of systems on here I guess they've been there done that.
Mine is quite a modest system in the grand scale of things but it gives us great joy and the fact Peter said there was nothing he could really do to improve how my system was setup no creaks or squeaks or rattles everything solid and level and excellent cable dressing meant a lot to me.
Apart from he gave me a new Deck :shock: 8) :smt023
I'm very lucky to have such great friends on here that pointed me the way :wink: then I got the offer of help with no problem at all superb.
Now I'm really enjoying :smt020 and you're right it gets better as the days go by.
Thanks mate KR Jim. 8) :smt023
PS don't be shy you've got my number :smt023
Last edited by Coyote Jim on Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer